Monthly Archives: May 2013
I like to give credit where credit is due, so here is a post I found on how to rock your neons this summer….
Last week I featured Solange Knowles and Eve for a Style Files Post Well Kim asked for a look for less post with items similar to what Solange and Eve rocked. Instead of showcasing two or three looks I have over 100 items Under $100 that you can add to your wardrobe to achieve the looks of Solange and Eve.
So here are my tips for rocking neon and bright colors for the summer
1. Color block! Sometimes color blocking can be over done, but not when it comes to the summer. Pair complimentary colors that don’t over power each other. So rock a purple crop top, royal blue jeans, and a pink handbag.
2. Pair a solid top with printed bottoms. So if you aren’t a pro at color blocking, try working with a printed bottom. Whether it is a pair of printed pants or shorts, pair with a solid top in one of the colors in the prints. I would pair with the least dominant color to make it pop.
3. Shoes, shoes, shoes! So if you aren’t fond of rocking bold color apparel then gold bold with your shoes! Whether you are rocking a wedge, ballet flats, sandals, or pumps try a pair in hot pink, lime green, or neon orange to brighten up your look.
4. Accessorize! You can rock this trend in simple ways like with your handbag, sunglasses, and jewelry. I love the look of a white tank and white jeans with neon shoes and accessories. It’s perfect for the summer and spring.
5. Be confident! This is the most important tip! You will attract a lot of attention rocking these bright colors so own your look!
Share What Your Rocking This Summer!
Ok, So my last post on the challenge I mentioned I’m on a quest for a healthier lifestyle and ways I’ve decided to make some changes. So I decided to let you in on my progress.
As nutty as it seems, I get up before my kids every morning to fit in a workout. This means my alarm goes off at 5am and I have to try to be asleep by 10pm or so. But it is so worth it! I get some much needed time to myself and the exercise wakes me up and makes me feel alert and energized for the day. If I don’t exercise first thing in the morning, I feel groggy and if I let my kids wake me up abruptly, I am completely discombobulated. For me, first-thing-in-the-morning exercise is as much a necessity as my cup of coffee. I also like the example my regular exercise sets for my kids. I am absolutely certain being fit helps me to be a better mom because I have the strength and endurance to keep up with my kids, sleep better and can better manage my stress.
I’m 30 days in and I’m feeling better healthier and stronger and if your on the same quest hopefully some of it can be inspiring to you…
Spring Slim Dowm Tips
Share Your Healthy Lifetsyle Journey!!!
Tia Dashon Mowry-Hardrict
Born: July 6, 1978 (age 34), Gelnhausen
Spouse: Cory Hardrict (m. 2008)
Siblings: Tamera Mowry, Tahj Mowry, Tavior Mowry
Tamera Darvette Mowry-Housley
Born: July 6, 1978 (age 34), Gelnhausen
Spouse: Adam Housley (m. 2011)
Siblings: Tia Mowry, Tahj Mowry, Tavior Mowry
Parents: Timothy Mowry, Darlene Mowry
Education: Pepperdine University, Birmingham High School
The identical twins Tia and Tamera Mowry were born on June 6, 1978, in Gelnhausen, Germany. At the age of 12, the girls moved to California to pursue an acting career. Their most well-known roles were in the WB’s “Sister Sister.” After the show had ended, both girls studied psychology at Pepperdine University and appeared in the movie “The Hot Chick” in which they play cheerleaders.
Tia BioTia Mowry Hardrict stars opposite her twin sister, Tamera Mowry-Housley, in the #1 Style docu-series “Tia & Tamera,” which follows the fun and frenetic lives of the celebrity sisters as they embark on major life changes. From 2006 until 2012, she portrayed medical student Melanie Barnett Davis on the CW/BET comedy-drama series The Game. In a first for Mowry Hardrict, she wrote the book “Oh, Baby!: Pregnancy Tales and Advice from One Hot Mama to the Next,” which is a guide for expectant mothers, offering funny advice and insights into being pregnant.
Mowry Hardrict is a graduate of Pepperdine University where she obtained a bachelor’s degree in psychology. When not acting, she spends time working with several charities, including the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and other organizations that focus on research for children fighting cancer.
Tamara BioThe oldest sister by two minutes, On the big screen, Mowry-Housley co-starred in the Rob Schneider comedy “The Hot Chick.” In addition, she starred alongside Tia in the successful Disney Channel movie “Twitches” and the sequel, “Twitches Too.” She has also made a break into dramatic television, and is also known for her role as Dr. Kayla Thornton on the medical drama Strong Medicine. Beginning August 2011, the Style Network began airing Tia & Tamera
In Essence:Life is sweet for twins for Tia & Tamera Mowry. As successful, married new moms, the reality TV stars are adding a new hyphenate to their resumes: entrepreneur. The two recently launched a product line for mothers and babies called Mama Need.
Ok, So I had mentioned that I was on my way to a healthier me in 2013 and beyond. So I decided I would do this one step at a time….30 days in and I’m feeling healthier and better.
First step was to start cooking fresh instead out of boxes. I did tons of research on recipes. my favorites are http://www.sparkreciepes.com and allrecipes.com. I gathered recipes that I would enjoy and could be easy to cook for a single person with kids (cause they still love their hamburgers).
After that step was down solid I added in exercise. At the encouragement of a great friend at work I joined the gym that she went to. Walked the trail around a pond at work (who knew we had a pond at my work place, i’m always inside working). I started out in group exercise classes as I felt more comfortable with that then just walking into a gym and figuring things out on my own. I went 5 times days a week, and found a true love for working out.
Throughout my lifestyle I have come to learn that it isn’t something that you should feel like you have to give everything up to be healthy…it is just all in moderation. If I’m having a sweet tooth I’ll have one cookie instead of the 4 I use to eat. Or if I want chips I’ll have 5 instead of 5 handfuls. I don’t believe in giving everything up because when you do, when you finally get your hands on that sort of yumminess you binge.
I also have learned that I don’t have to be a slave to the gym. It incorporates weights and cardio, if I know it’s a workout I won’t do it..but zumba and dancing is a workout for me (because i love to dance aroun and be silly anyway)..but do what you like the key is just get moving!!!! When I first started my journey I was spending about 2 hours a day in the gym (and sometimes I was doing two-a-days). Then life got real. I have a 2yr old who demands my attention and a grown child who also demands my attention. I had to learn a system that would work for me and my crazy life with my little one and the love I have for the gym. So 30 days later here we are…check out my progress and keep moving.
What are you doing to get your healthier lifestyle…please share tips and recipes!!!
Love Life. Do Good.Live Well
Top Six Tips for a Spring Spruce Up
Features, Guest Bloggers, In Her Shoes Home | 13 May 2013
Dayka Robinson of Dayka Robinson Designs
As an Interior Designer, the coming of Spring not only signals that Summer is just around the corner (short shorts, anyone??), but that it’s time to give my home a good once over in preparation for warmer weather & sunny skies. I don’t need an excuse to redecorate, but Spring offers a way to up the ante on the cheap! Here are six of my favorite tips to freshen up your home for Spring:
1. Change out those toss pillows. You’d be surprised at how much impact the right toss pillows can have in your interior space. Pillows provide an infusion of color and movement with their textures & patterns and even if you’re don’t currently have the sofa/chair of your dreams, the right pillows can become the star of your show. To pull this look off with success, don’t be afraid to mix patterns and colors for an eclectic and custom look. Keep in mind that pattern mixing is not as difficult as it appears, it’s just all about scale. To balance your patterns, the rule of thumb is to use one large scale pattern, one medium scale pattern, and one small pattern so no one print fights for attention. Feel free to repeat the patterns in your space and/or use solid pillows to break up the mix. Your house will be looking like a showroom in no time!
2. When in doubt, paint it out. We’ve all heard it a thousand times but it’s true–the most impactful way to spruce up your space is to paint those walls. Bold walls saturated with color have been all the rage and done correctly they still are (I’m a sucker for black walls!)…but don’t overlook white walls either. White is not only the quintessential light & airy color, but if you like to swap out your pillows and accessories according to the season (and you should!) it serves as a great backdrop to let your accessories and textures shine. For no-fail whites, try Sherwin Williams Snowbound (SW 7004), Alabaster (SW 7008), or White Flour (SW 7102).
3. Zuzush up your bedlinen. Yes, I made that word up but what I mean is this–give your bed some uumph by upgrading your linens. There’s nothing better than climbing into a freshly made bed at night with soft, fresh & stylish sheets (it’s also nice to climb into a freshly made bed with someone, but I digress…). Start with the essentials by shopping for Egyptian Cotton sheets with a minimum of 400 thread count in a solid color, then make your duvet the star with a bold pattern and finish the look off with new toss pillows in coordinating hues/patterns (Overstock.com is a fantastic source for luxurious & inexpensive sheets). For bonus points, replace your sleeping pillows every Spring (Did you know in only 2 years time your pillows can weigh twice their original weight due to dust mite contamination? Do yourself a favor and replace those pillows every year–you’ll sleep better and will notice a decrease in your allergies, too!).
4. Create a gallery wall. When designed with you in mind, your home should tell your guests a bit about where you’ve been and where you’re going, so creating a gallery wall is a great way to show off who you are in your space. Now that Spring has sprung, commit to creating a focal gallery wall in your home filled with your favorite pieces of art or prized photos. When working with art, the goal is to select pieces that speak to you–just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean that it’s “good”, so use your personality as a guide and remember to have fun (thrift stores & Etsy.com are great resources)! For an art gallery look when working with photos, have all of your photos printed in black & white and make sure your frames and mats are all the same color for a chic and polished look. To create your gallery, simply use contractors paper (available at hardware stores) to trace all of your frames, then arrange them on your wall with painters tape and keep working until you get a layout that looks pleasing to your eye. Once that’s done, use your cut-outs as a guide to where your frames should be hung & that’s it! And here’s an extra tip: take your photos to your local copy shop and have them printed on regular paper in black & white–your company won’t know the difference & your original heirloom pics can stay safe and packed away.
5. Freshen your coffee table. I love visiting the homes of friends and finding interesting books on their coffee table. Not only am I often introduced to titles I’d want to add to my own library, but their choices also tell me so much about who they are! Since Spring & Summer are all about hanging out and entertaining, give your coffee table the once over with new books, magazines and/or accessories to make your entertaining space welcoming for your guests. My favorite coffee table additions? Hard cover design books (like this gem from Nate Berkus), candles, and long lasting fresh flowers or plants.
With these tips as a guide, your house can be ready for Spring in one weekend or less–happy decorating!
Summer’s Eve Feminine towlettes, Neutrogena Buffer w/refillable pads
Biore Oil Control Sheets, Neutrogena Acne Wash, Palmer’s CoCo Butter Creme, Neutrogena Deep Cleanser Creme (after I remove my makeup for the day), Neutrogena Oil Control Clay, Dove Body Wash, Ponds Makeup Remover/Chamommille & Lavender (love the way these smell and they have your skin feeling clean and refreshed-for sensitive skin)
My Favorite Daily Makeup
(since I don’t like to wear makeup everyday I use just a BB Cream and a few essentials)
~Sephora #0 Primer
~ Loreal Youth Code Moisturizer
~ Iman BB Cream Deep Brown
~ Milani baked Bronzer
~ sephora Buff Brush #35
My Favorite Signature Lipcolor (Pink)
(shades of pink just bring out the best in my skin tone)
~NYC Lipshine (Frosted Pink)
~Loreal Colour Juicy (Nude Pink)
~Black Opal (Beige Pink)
~Mary Kay (Shimmer Pink)
Some More Pink (NYX Products): Sparkle, Baby Pink, Doll Pink, Pink
Trying some new lip colors NYX Products: can you tell I like NYX the products last longer and cheaper than your name brand products and has lots of Vitamin E and Jojoba Oil in their products.
~Jumbo Lip Pencil (Satin Nude)
~NYX Lip Balm Moisturizer
Oh The NightLife…Love making a smokey eye with these combination of products when i’m out and bout….
Share… What Are Your Favorite Finds?
First Lady Michelle Obama spoke passionately about the importance of education to the African-American community in a commencement address Friday, urging more than 600 graduates of Bowie State University to honor the school’s history and to pass their commitment to education on to future generations.
In her 15-minute address, the first lady touched on the university’s founding in 1865 to train black teachers; the difficulties confronted by black students after emancipation from slavery and during the civil rights movement; and the sacrifices made by her own parents, who were not college graduates.
Mrs. Obama called out African American youth for not challenging themselves to excel in school while instead fantasizing about being a “baller or a rapper.”
“Today, more than 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, more than 50 years after the end of Separate But Equal, when it comes to getting an education too many of our young people just can’t be bothered,”…
View original post 62 more words
In an area known as one of the safest communities in the country, a hit list of African American students who would be “the first to die” was spray-painted in a high school bathroom.
The racist graffiti was at Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, Calif., a predominantly white community about 35 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. The hit list is believed to have been painted during school hours Wednesday, KTLA reports in the video above.
Before that, graffiti reading “Go back 2 Africa” was found and removed off of the school walls on Sunday.
The hate crime made some parents wonder if it was safe for students to go to school, even though extra patrols will be there all week. “Does (my son) have to watch his back when he’s coming to school?” a parent asked CBS.
“(The suspects) win if our kids don’t come to school … they think…
View original post 213 more words
According to the bellereport.com
#1 Single “Take Me To The King”
“Take Me To The King” Celebrates 22 Weeks At #1 On Billboard Gospel Radio Chart
Dallas, TX — Tillymann Music releases vocalist Tamela Mann’s music video of her #1 mega-hit “Take Me To The King.” The music video is now available online and coming soon to TV. The clip features Tamela’s powerhouse live performance of “Take Me To The King,” which moved the audience to worship along with Tamela on the 2013 Stellar Gospel Music Awards. The video is released in partnership with Tillymann Music and Central City Productions.
Watch Tamela’s “Take Me To The King” music video HERE.
ABOUT TAMELA MANN
Tamela Mann is an accomplished NAACP Image Award nominated actress, GRAMMY® Award nominated singer, songwriter, producer, and businesswoman. Starring as “Cora Simmons,” the loving and churchgoing daughter of beloved Deacon Leroy Brown…
View original post 190 more words