Scandal Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) dedicates her life to protecting the public images of the nation’s elite and making sure their secrets never get out. Olivia is a former White House Communications Director for the president, but has left to start her own crisis management firm, Olivia Pope and Associates. She is hoping to begin a new chapter of her life, but is finding out that she cannot leave parts of her past behind without having a definite soft side.
Olivia Pope and Associates staff includes Harrison Wright (Columbus Short), a smooth and efficient litigator; Abby Whelan (Darby Stanchfield), the firm’s investigator; Huck Finn (Guillermo Diaz), a hacker with a CIA past; and recent recruit Quinn Perkins (Katie Lowes), a fresh faced lawyer with a secret.
In anticipation of Season 3 of “Scandal” Oct 3rd
Let’s take a look at some of Olivia Pope’s wardrobe secrets…..
The Season 2 finale concluded with Olivia being outed as the President’s mistress, an event that will send shock waves throughout the country this fall.
In an interview with CNN, costume designer Lyn Paolo — who works on ABC’s Scandal — explains how she dresses Kerry Washington for the part of Olivia Pope, the D.C. “fixer” based on real-life crisis management expert Judy Smith.
When you talk about Washington D.C., you think of dark gray and navy blue. Look at a picture of Congress. Everyone pretty much looks the same. … My idea was, we should always have Olivia Pope standout in some way.
The White suit
A blouse and slacks will do
Remember when looking at the makeup look to apply it to your skin tone according to the chart I gave you. Warm with cool tones or cool colors , if you have warm undertones
The Statement Blazer
In a wardrobe color palette consisting of light hues, pastels and greys, Olivia wears blazers well. Her military-inspired looks, particularly the classy Armani blazer, enforce a sense of power in a male-dominated world. A statement blazer is the perfect match for a pencil skirt or structured trousers at the office.
1. Armani Collezioni Fitted Blazer, $495
2. Ralph Lauren Blazer, $321
3. Donna Karan Military Blazer, $1,342
4. Topshop Structured Blazer, $70
5. Morena Tailored Blazer with Binding, $34
6. Topshop Ponte Jet Pocket Blazer, $70
Olivia Pope Shopping Checklist:
- Is it in “the Color Pallet” (i.e. White, Cream, Tan, Camel, Any shade of Grey, or Navy on a wild day soft pastels pale pink, pale green, ice blue)
- Is it Classic? If its to trendy or crazy fashion forward- skip it
- Is it strong? (i.e. If its to overly feminine/frilly/lacy- skip it. Olivia Pope is serious business so she has to look strong and command respect. If its overly girly- skip it.)
- Is it Clean? (i.e. Are the over all design lines of the garment or is it simple and sophisticated? If it’s too busyin design detail or print skip it)
- Will the proportions flatter the body? Too much fabric will overpower anyone. Garments should fit well. This is the key to really being put together! If it’s overly boxy or flowy- skip it