Daily Archives: November 26, 2013
|10 Household Items For Your DIY Beauty Routine
You’re rushing to leave the house and you’ve just encountered a beauty emergency. We know how this usually plays out. You get frustrated, scatter about in search of a solution and end up being late to your planned destination. What do you do?!
We’ve got a list of 10 items around your house that will make your life a million times easier.
10. Clear Nail Polish: Sealing your nail polish color or design isn’t all a top coat is good for. Did you know you can use clear polish to stop a run in your stocking?! Just add a little dab at the site and that should hold you up until you have a chance to get a new pair.
9. End Wraps: The most common use of End-wraps is to keep the hair flat and straight around curlers and rods. But not today! If you are out of blotting paper, problem solved! Stash a few sheets in a ziploc bag and you’ll never go wrong.
Not only is it convenient, it is also efficient. A box containing 1000 end-wraps costs $1.99. Depending on how often you use blotting paper this little box will last you for months up to a year! Why spend $10 on blotting sheets that will last less than a month when you have end-wraps?!
8. Aluminum Foil: GLITTER POLISH!!! A girl’s biggest Kryptonite, such a pain in the behind. All you need is acetone, a cotton pad, and aluminum foil. Use the aluminum foil to wrap over the cotton pad on your nail, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, and the glitter will wipe right off!
7. Scotch Tape: Name one person that likes lint on their clothes! Exactly, no one. Sometimes we don’t have the luxury of having a lint brush at our disposal, but scotch tape will come in handy. It works like a charm!
6. Match Box: Nail file gone missing? Never pass up on the opportunity for free matches. The striking surface of the match-box can be used as a nail file to smoothen out any rough edges. It’s as easy as 1-2-3.
5. Elmer’s Glue: We know you’ve been keeping watch of our Style.Play.Polish posts, but you’re hesitant because your hands my be a little unsteady. Just apply some of the glue around the outside of your nails, let it dry and polish away. After you’re down painting your nails it peels right off along with any mess you may have created. Score! We’ve got you on another one.
4. Rounded Earrings: Some of you have been wondering, where on earth do I get a dotting tool without having to purchase it online? Well there’s Sally’s, but there always will be the cheaper and free alternative! Have a pair-less round earring lying around? Just stick it into the eraser of a pencil and dot away!
3. Brown Paper Bag: Flexi rods are a little on the pricey side, especially when you have a bushel of curls sprouting out of your scalp. Cutting brown paper bags into strips will perfectly serve you as a substitute. Curl away and secure with a bobby pin. Just make sure your hair isn’t soaking wet, otherwise it will defeat the purpose.
2. Spoon: Spoons aren’t just for eating, they can also be used as eyelash curlers! Your lash curler is on the fritz and you cannot leave the house without those curls. Grab a spoon, run it under hot water, wipe it off. Place the inside of your thumb under your lashes and run the tip of the spoon upward across your eyelashes. You can thank us later.
1. Tea Bags: Tea bags can be used for 2 purposes:
Next time you come across a beauty emergency, you’ll have us to thank! Make sure to share this post with your friends!
You have any household beauty tips and tricks? List them below and share with the class.
How many times have we wanted someone to be honest with us? The first step in honesty is being truthful with the first person in your life. The person that you look in the mirror at everyday deserves the value of honesty.
Your Words are carved for eternity!
You have commanded the virtue of honesty,
It is the power against all deceptions.
Direct Your Spirit of honesty upon me,
That by soul may always remain stainless.
Guide my daily thoughts, words and actions,
To join those living by the Spirit of truth.
For honesty yields harmony and loyalty,
Enriching all human relationships.
By the power of Your Spirit that flourishes,
Honesty will prevail in this world! Amen
Like anything else in the world it takes time. Let today be the…
View original post 28 more words
[ione_embed src=//www.youtube.com/embed/Hez4l-BgLdU service=youtube width=853 height=480 type=iframe]
I came out with the deluxe edition because I wasn’t done yet,” said KEM. “We added some really great music to this record, and my hope is that this album will continue to be a mainstay in you all’s homes during the holiday season for years to come.”
Vanilla Extract on How to Gain Followers
Hi, my name is Nichole and I’m addicted to online shopping. My latest obsession is a cool app / online shopping community called Wanelo. This service let’s you see all of your favorite stores and products in one place. AKA: You can shop faster and more efficiently online. In your PJ’s. With wine. Can you say dangerous?
I’ve spent a lot of time on the site, drooling over my favorite shoes, bags, and dresses, and buying a few must-haves. During that time, I learned a lot about the service and built up quite a following.
Here’s the deal: Wanelo has over 10 million users, up from 1 million in November 2012. Over 200,000 stores have followings on the platform, including top retailers like Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, J.Crew, and Nasty Gal.
So what’s the benefit of having more Wanelo followers? If you’re a retailer, a large following helps you get your products in front of more people. As a blogger, it adds credibility to your portfolio and might be an opportunity to collaborate with some of your favorite brands. As a user, it validates your opinion of what’s hot.
If you want a piece of those 10 million users, here’s how to get in front of them, one great product at a time.
1. Post good content.
Products can catch on fast on Wanelo, and the people who post the most popular products can gain influence. All kinds of products are welcome, but quirky, unique, well-photographed and/or topical ones typically get shared and distributed widely.
Wanelo is obsessed with power users, and if you have good content, you might:
- be included in Wanelo’s weekly Top Stories newsletter that reaches its entire user base.
- be included in their invite-only Wanelo Holiday page—a page curated just for this season that will feature stories and products from a select group of users, brands, and media properties on Wanelo. All the content will be viewable by Wanelo’s 10 million-plus users, regardless of whether or not they follow you.
2. Bring products to the table.
It’s all about bringing great, new products into Wanelo because that’s how you gain visibility and influence. Your profile will be forever linked to the products you post to the community, which is an opportunity for you to get noticed as more and more people save and re-save your content.
3. Have a good profile picture with a bio.
When someone lands on your profile, the first thing to catch their eye is your profile picture. Make sure it’s a forward-facing, quality photo of yourself. Blurry, pixelated images, or pictures of someone or something that isn’t YOU, won’t resonate well with users. Your bio is your chance to tell people who you are in a nutshell and entice them to follow you. You can link to your blog and Instagram as well as connect your Facebook and Twitter accounts to your profile.
4. Be active when it counts.
A good strategy for picking up maximum re-saves, likes, and comments is to save products when other users are the most active. While the site is consistently busy throughout the day (they say users spend an average of 50 minutes per day on Wanelo!), early evenings prove to be the most beneficial. We’ve found that the peak is often around 7 p.m. PT / 10 p.m. ET.
5. Utilize Stories.
Stories are editorial bits of content around a group of products that gets published to all of your followers. Stories can be easily shared to Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter as a single image, which can generate even more exposure and help grow your following.
6. Engage with other users.
You can get in front of more users by mentioning (@username) and commenting on products and stories. There’s also story reposting, which allows anyone to repost a story they like to all of their followers. This helps people, who are creating amazing stories, find more followers.
7. Tag products with appropriate hashtags.
Hashtags help products get discovered and help you keep up with all the unique content on Wanelo. Hashtag pages are created automatically when products and stories are tagged. Users can also follow hashtags and see when new products are tagged. This means your profile will be exposed to anyone following the hashtags you’ve used in your posts. You can also hashtag stories, which is another way that helps you discover more content and helps others discover you! For example, a user can follow #leopard to see all of the relevant products and stories tagged with that hashtag.
8. Be active.
When you actively post from stores you love, you have a chance to become a top contributor. Top contributors are listed on a store’s profile page, which is another way to gain exposure, and stores pay attention to that. But most importantly, just be yourself and have fun with it!