You’ve pressed the reset button on the year and by now you’ve hopefully determined what your financial goals are for 2014.
if improving your credit score is one of those goals, knowing what information is on your credit report is crucial. As you know, my reason for starting My Fab Fico and my financial journey was to improve my credit. Think of the credit report as your roadmap for making that happen.
While I won’t discuss the credit report in detail on this post, I will provide a tutorial for pulling it for free. There are several companies out there including FreeCreditReport.com swindling consumers into paying for their report when your report is available absolutely FREE.
If you would like help understanding your credit report refer to the Credit Report Post. It’s long but hella informative.
The following instructions are for pulling and equifax report.
Lets get started!
1.Make sure you go to annualcreditreport.com. If the page doesn’t look like this (with the exception of the slider image) you are proabbly int he wrong place.
Click on the red box at the bottom that says “Request your free credit reports”
2. On this next page all you have to do is click “Request your free credit reports” again
3. This page is officially step 1. Here you will fill out all of your personal information. Be sure to double check for accuracy. If you have not lived at your current location for more than a year, be prepared to enter that information as well. Once you’ve entered your information proceed to the next page.
4. On this page you can decide which bureau you’d like to retrieve your report from. As you know, there are three bureaus: Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. I recommend pulling one every few months. For example pull Equifax in January, Experian in June, Transunion on November. While information can differ from report to report for the most part they are the same. Pulling every few months will allow you to monitor new items, disputes, possible mistakes, and items that might have fallen off.
Make sure you keep a record of which on your pulled for your own records and when.
5. The next page will ask you to verify the last 4 of your social. If all info is correct proceed tot he next page.
6. I call this the trick questions page. On this page you will be asked questions to verify your identity. Please be aware they do throw false information into the mix. Some or all answers could be “None Of The Above”. It is important to answer correctly though. If you get any of these answers wrong they will not allow you to access your report online and you will have to go through the time consuming precess of requesting it by mail.
After you have provided your answers proceed tot he next page.
7. This is the page with your credit file number. Make sure to take down your transaction code which will be provided in the first sentence. From this page you will click in the box that says view and print your report (the box next to the pink arrow).
8. You will finally receive your credit report! Before you do anything, print and/or save your report as a PDF. (the box next to the pink arrow)
Again as stated, if you need additional help navigating your report please refer to our Understanding your Credit Report Post.