Monthly Archives: December 2014
As we blow out the candles for another year, I want to thank all my fellow bloggers, supporters, community advocates, radio listners friends & family for all your support with the movement.. The community in which we live is is not just a movement it’s an EVOLUTION….Thank You For A Gr8T Year!
The Evolution! Society Team
It is probable that David penned this psalm when he was persecuted by Saul; some passages in it agree particularly to the narrow escapes he had, at Keilah (1 Sa. 23:13 ), then in the wilderness of Maon, when Saul marched on one side of the hill and he on the other, and, soon after, in the cave in the wilderness of En-gedi; but that it was penned upon any of those occasions we are not told. It is a mixture of prayers, and praises, and professions of confidence in God, all which do well together and are helpful to one another.
1 In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.
2 Turn your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.
View original post 191 more words
Sure, the velvet jacket is a classic, stylish departure from more absurd options during the holiday season. But it doesn’t have to hang in the closet getting dusty until New Year’s.
Nothing brings up a pair of jeans, simple shirt, and casual shoes like a velvet blazer: for a date, a holiday party, to premiere a film or accept a Grammy — anytime. And aside from the obvious visual bravado, velvet has some practicality as well. In cooler weather, it’s as simple as being warm. And the weight of the fabric itself lends structure. It feels good to wear and has a certain heft by nature. It’s hard to find a wimpy velvet jacket.
Of course, there are a couple trap doors to watch for. Obviously, you’ll want to pick your spots. While that purple velvet is great for the Grammy thing, you might appear slightly over (or under) dressed at work, unless it’s the holiday party.
But the biggest challenge is the same as with any sportcoat: finding the right fit for your frame. The continuing trend with some designers toward shorter, tighter-fitting blazers is one you might be wary of with velvet. Make any sportcoat too small and you can end up looking like you shopped in the boy’s department by mistake. But do that with velvet? You end up looking like Little Lord Fauntleroy. Way too short equals way too bad. But a great-fitting velvet jacket will spark up the room and bring some occasion to any event.
You can dress them up or down this season with these sharp styles from MrPorter.com.
J. Crew Ludlow Satin-Lapel Velvet Blazer
With its black satin peaked lapels over sharp merlot velvet, J. Crew’s Ludlow Blazer lets you dress with roguish elegance for more formal occasions. The contrasting lapels make this jacket decidedly dressy, but you’re sure to stand out at any black-tie affair. In a rich, all-cotton velvet with full burgundy lining, you’ll feel as good as you’ll look. [$330; mrporter.com]
Richard James Flower-Print Velvet Blazer
Richard James, of London’s legendary Savile Row, lets you express your adventurous inner self with this distinctive navy jacket. The subtle floral print in the plush cotton velvet is flat-out eye-grabbing. With clean lines from its slim fit, angled flap pockets and comfortable double-vented back, you’ll look equally great dressed up with black trousers or dashingly casual with jeans. Just be prepared to be looked at twice. At least. [$705; mrporter.com]
PS by Paul Smith
Cool color adds some pop to velvet, and the deep blue of this PS by Paul Smith jacket is handsomely rich. The cosmic, starry viscose lining alludes to the depth of the blazer with its sleek fit and peaked lapels. The 100-percent cotton fabric has the weight and subtle luster that makes velvet so appealing and comfortable to wear. A sophisticated, elegant look that’s just as easily dressed down with jeans. [$845; mrporter.com]
Paul Smith Black Velvet Blazer
Britain’s Paul Smith has designed what may be the most versatile velvet jacket you can own. Both dressy and cool, this luxurious cotton blazer in black can step into any formal occasion while just as at ease on a laid back weekend. With a slim, lightly-structured fit and Smith’s meticulous tailoring, you’ll find a timeless look and great feel. The richly contrasting tie-dye lining reminds you from the inside that you’re standing apart. [$1,380; mrporter.com]
Gucci Embossed Velvet Blazer
Velvet has never been about blending in and not being noticed. For a bold, rakish look, Gucci’s Blazer makes its statement with a plush, deep burgundy. Embossed for visual texture and a tactile effect, it has a black satin lining and details like satin covered buttons. A debonair way to punctuate a holiday, or take a simple oxford to another realm. [$1,990; mrporter.com]
Glam Holiday Gifts To Give
One of the best parts of the holiday season is the extra sparkle and shine it brings! From luxe faux fur to glitter and metallics, we see no reason not to stock up on glam pieces. This gift guide is perfect for all the ladies in your life who like to make a statement. We’ve rounded up some favorites that we wouldn’t mind seeing under the tree ourselves!
1. Help her sparkle wherever she goes with these glittery Kate Spade Paxton Oxfords ($278)!
2. Leopard and metallic make for a glam combo in this Milly Gold Leopard Mini Cross Body Bag ($198).
3. This super soft Club Monaco Eleta Cashmere Hat ($119.50) is guaranteed to keep her cozy!
4. Say cheers in style with these C. Wonder glasses ($54).
5. She can bundle up with this ASOS Faux Fur Infinity Scarf ($42) all winter long!
6. Stay on track in 2015 with this Tory Burch Foundation Metallic Agenda ($125).
7. This Topshop Sequin Sweat ($190) is the perfect combination of comfort and style.
8. Revive an ordinary bookshelf with these C. Wonder Gold Trim Agate Bookends (currently out of stock).
9. These BaubleBar Juniper Ear Jackets ($32) are a stylish surprise.
10. What could be more fabulous than filling your home with a slow-burning scent of bubbly? Get this Voluspa ‘Maison Noir Crisp Champagne’ Two-Wick Candle ($16)!
11. This Topshop Sequin Cami ($84) is a glitzy game changer.
12. For the girl who loves a great coffee table book, this Kate Moss page-turner ($40) is perfect!
13. This Sweet & Spark for Piperlime Ribbon Collar with Vintage Textured Chain ($128) instantly elevates every ensemble!
14. We’ll put our feet up on this Society Social Faux Mongolian Lamb Fur Ottoman ($295) this winter, please and thank you!
(My Vision Board)
As I have mentioned before in a previous post, I’m not one to make New Year’s Resolutions…I make goals. When it comes to goal setting, it is a powerful process for thinking about your future and for motivating yourself to turn your vision of your future into a reality. A great way to start working on your goals is to write them down.
They can be big or small goals that you want to achieve. Whatever it is that is on your heart to do that you have always wanted to do. One of the most and best ways to help you in achieving your goals would be to make a vision board.
c/o The Write Woman (Geraldine)
For my vision board, I decided to focus on the following six months to a year. According to the law of attraction, the universe doesn’t measure your goals and say “This will take much longer than six months.” You simply put out the intension, and the universe makes it happen. So, don’t worry about the how. Just focus on the what – what you want and what you will feel once it comes true. Visualization is made powerful by the emotions you attach to it. Keep that in mind while you select your images. Be mindful of how they make you feel.
Here’s my completed vision board (with my world map wall sticker peeking on the right):
While designing it, I divided my vision board into six sections.
1) Love and passion: What I’d like to find in a lover and how I’d like to feel. I couldn’t incorporate all of my thoughts through images, but I’m jolted back to those thoughts and emotions when I glance at the images pictured. In short, I want romance, but I want wild passion, too! I want a man who’s open to adventures and travel. I want a worldly, intelligent man. And I want lots and lots of love – the real, genuine, profound kind – the kind that’s rare. Sweet!
2) Travel and adventures: I’m obsessed with Italy, so that’s the biggest image in that section. I didn’t plan it that way, but I did find the image. Coincidence? I think not. I want to travel [primarily] to Italy, Greece and France. I also want to return to California and the Dominican Republic. I want fun, love-filled adventures with family and friends.
3) Self: I want to be in even better shape, and I want to be healthier. With health, I can accomplish anything and everything. I want happiness and inner balance. I also want to get back to one of my passions, photography – in front of the camera.
4) Journalism: I want a career in journalism – whether it’s working for a magazine or a major network. I want to attend events and parties, walk the red carpet, interview celebrities on and off the red carpet. I’m ready to live the life of my dreams!
5) Published novel and magazine articles: This has been my greatest dream since I was a little girl. I want to publish a best-selling novel (and many more novels after that). I want to see images of YOU reading my book all over social media. I want to hear how I’ve inspired YOU in person and via social media. I also want to have articles published in major magazines, such as Cosmopolitan. I want to inspire people all over the world through my writing.
6) Life is beautiful: The words around my picture are reminders and reinforcements of what I want my life to be full of: Love, happiness and prosperity. I want to be an even more amazing woman and lead an even more beautiful life! The hearts across the board symbolize my desire for love to abound in all aspects of my life.
Sometimes I close my eyes and picture myself on a tropical island, surrounded by the bluest water and most animated wildlife. Maybe or a local village listening to the unique language of the indigenous people, or eating their regional vegetables and spices…then the alram sounds off Back To Reality!
My friend Marcia whom I’ve worked with for some shares her experience of traveling the world at least3-4x a year she shares stories of some exotic place and pictures of her excursions. The experience of traveling the world, the food, the people, the culture. With all the stories I do my research and live there in my mind so I could become one with the experience and have even tried to make some of the foods of the land (yeah..!). I’ve even adapted to ask her where are WE going next 🙂
Seeing the world through the traveler’s eyes happens when you’re away from the routine and comforts of your home life. Your eyes are a little bit more open to every experience and new opportunity. You pay attention more to the people and places around you. Every day is seen as a new opportunity to learn, taking in all that the local area has to offer. You want to taste new foods, talk with new people, and gather as many experiences as possible to fully experience another culture.
Seeing the world through a”Traveler’s Eyes”Seeing the world through “traveler’s eyes” allows us to grow and develop a deeper understanding of the places and people that we visit. Absorbing so much information and experiences causes us to think a little bit more about ourselves and our own place on the earth.
Fast forward to being back at home, and going about your day-to-day life. I want to thank you Marcia for allowing me to see the world through your eyes and telling a great story and until I make it there you are my eyes to the world….safe travels!
How can you take the same excitement and experiences to make life at home more mindful?
Go Out & Experience Life!!!!
Next Stop Dubai……
Pics By Marcia
Rio de Janeiro