Wellness Wednesday 7/6
What Is Clean Eating…
Eating clean is a good way to refresh your eating habits: it’s about eating more of the best and healthiest options in each of the food groups—and eating less of the not-so-healthy ones. That means embracing whole foods like vegetables, fruits and whole grains, plus healthy proteins and fats.
While it may take a few days to adjust to eating clean, participants quickly begin to enjoy getting creative with their recipes – and sharing them with one another in the program’s private Facebook group.
If you’re considering doing your own detox, or participating in The Hormone Reset Detox, here’s a sample menu with some Detox recipes to help get you started…
- 1-2 tbsp. chia seeds soaked in unsweetened coconut, almond or hemp milk for 3-4 hours
- 2 scoops Reset360TM All-In-One Shake (vanilla)
- ½ avocado
- 4-6 pieces dinosaur kale (stems removed)
- Additional unsweetened coconut, almond, or hemp milk (to desired taste/consistency)
- Handful of ice cubes
- Blend and enjoy!
One of my delicious Detox recipes for lunch: Sweet and Crunchy Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the quinoa into a small saucepan and add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, or until the water is evaporated. Turn off the heat and let quinoa sit covered for at least one hour.
- Place the sweet potato cubes into a roasting pan and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until you can just pierce the cubes with a fork. Set aside.
- Place the pine nuts into a small pan over medium heat until lightly toasted, stirring often. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, place the remaining three tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin and cinnamon. Whisk well.
- When the quinoa is dry, use a whisk to break apart the seeds and place into a large bowl. Add half the vinaigrette and mix with the whisk. Add more to taste, depending on how wet you like your quinoa.
- Add the sweet potatoes, pine nuts, and scallions and mix gently. Serve at room temperature.
Dinner: Turkey and Zucchini Lasagna
- 5-6 large zucchinis
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground organic turkey
- 1 8-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 3 tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6 tbsp. olive oil, divided in half
- 2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 organic egg whites
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 can gluten-free, sugar-free, organic tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin wide strips, a mandolin slicer works great for this. Sprinkle each strip with salt. Set Aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Stir in ground turkey and cook for approximately 4 minutes. Add all herbs and bell peppers and cook until turkey is well browned and peppers are soft. Add tomato paste and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Steam or boil cauliflower until tender. Placed cooked cauliflower pieces in a blender with remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and coconut milk. Blender until smooth and creamy, adding more coconut milk if necessary. Set Aside.
- Spray a deep 8X8-inch baking dish with non-stick olive oil or coconut oil spray.
- Line bottom of baking dish with zucchini slices. Make sure each slice overlaps slightly. Add a thin layer of turkey mixture on top of zucchini. Cover this layer with tomato sauce, then add a 1/4-inch thick layer of blended cauliflower.
- Repeat layering of zucchini, meat, tomato sauce and cauliflower as many times as you desire. Finish with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and pour evenly on top of lasagna.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 mins, or until eggs are set. Enjoy!